Have any Questions? +01 123 444 555

Case Study | Limmattalbahn

Tram Network Extension with Rail Comfort System (RCS)

The Limmattal region in Switzerland is becoming increasingly attractive for living and working. As a result, passenger transport, and hence the utilisation of public transport routes and means of transport, will increase. Since the Limmattal is reaching its limits in terms of traffic, the expansion of the tram network is necessary. The Limmattalbahn is intended to improve public transport. Without the expansion of the network, traffic on the roads would continue to increase and consequently the quality of life for local residents would be reduced.

The Limmattalbahn captures a large part of the additional future traffic and thus provides relief of the roads and town centres.

The challenge in this project

The rail network covers 13.4 km, and depending on local conditions, consists of Vignol and grooved rails with continuous or discontinuous rail support into a complex overall structure. In addition, there are different superstructure systems in place adapting to the cityscape of the Limmattal. Permanent Way systems with asphalt or concrete covering can be shared by bus and local traffic. Eco-friendly grass tracks enrich the streets and town centers with additional green areas.

The delivery of the turnouts and crossing constructions from abroad, as well as the locally separated construction sites with different construction progress in the various civil engineering lots represent a logistical challenge. Continuous availability of the RCS had to be ensured regarding production phase, delivery and storage.

Solution and benefits

The expansion of the transport network takes place in two construction stages with the Rheda City System from Vigier Rail AGRAIL. ONE and three different designs of SEALABLE Rail Comfort Systems (RCS) for two rail types (60R2 and 49E1). The insulated switches and crossings are delivered from the factory.

The system was pre-assembled system at a central storage location, for an efficient and flexible supply of the rails. From there, the pre-assembled track components were delivered to the respective construction site as required. Further production and delivery took place just-in-time, in close coordination with the local construction managers.

  • Proven combination of Rheda City and RCS
  • Time savings due to pre-assembly in a central location
  • Low maintenance
  • High safety and durability
  • Time savings
  • No special machines and installation aids required
  • Insulation of all components in the track at the highest level
  • Consultation and On-Site Service

Four joint contractors plan, supply, install and commission the entire railway technology. Walo Bertschinger AG is in the lead and takes care of the technical and commercial management with 75% (remaining 25% share: Carlo Vanoli AG Thalwil). They form together the ARGE GOB Limmattalbahn, which has received and executes the contract for the rail construction. The two engineering firms Basler & Hofmann AG and SNZ Ingenieure und Planer AG are subcontractors responsible for project planning, construction management, measurement and commissioning.


Related links

Our services

Icon für den Service von Berechnungen


Icon für den Service von Prüfungen


Icon für den Service hauseigenes Technikum


Icon für den Vor-Ort-Service


Your contact person

Matthias Klug
Managing Director

Language: ENG / GER

Tino Garbe
Research & Development Track Superstructure

Language: ENG / GER

+49 171 3145 754
Alexander Moog
Application Engineer Track Superstructure

Language: ENG / GER

+49 171 1929 291

Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved.